Honest Lingoda Spanish Review 2021: Is It Worth It?
In this Lingoda Spanish review, we will talk about Honest Lingoda Spanish reviews and some important topics one should highlight.
Introduction – Lingoda Spanish Review
Thinking about learning Spanish on Lingoda? Here’s a detailed and honest Lingoda Spanish Review to help you with all the information you need. Did you know that Spanish is the world’s 2nd most spoken first language? And it’s the fourth most spoken language overall! There are almost 500 million native Spanish speakers, and 75 million speak Spanish as a second language. Learning this language is a no-brainer, especially if you plan to travel to or work in the Americas or Spain.
Now, when it comes to where to learn Spanish — we understand that can be a toughie. That’s why we’ve written this detailed review of Lingoda’s Spanish course. In this Lingoda Spanish review, find out all about the pricing, instructors, plans, etc. So, you can make an informed decision.
An Overview of Lingoda
Lingoda is a language learning platform that’s been around since 2013. It was founded by two brothers, Felix and Fabian Wunderlich. Their vision is to provide easy access to new languages through affordability and excellent training & curriculum.
Lingoda conducts over half a million classes/year on average. The platform has earned a positive reputation for itself over the years, having taught over 80,000 students to date.
Learners can choose from five languages on Lingoda — English, Business English, German, French, and Spanish. The platform has over 1500 instructors, all of whom are native speakers of these languages.
The platform has different course formats on offer. There are group as well as one-on-one lessons. There’s Lingoda Sprint and Marathon, which are essentially faster-paced, more intensive courses. Keep reading this Lingoda Spanish review to learn more about these!
Why learn Spanish?
As we’ve already covered, Spanish is a pretty popular language across the globe. Coming in second after Chinese, there are about half a billion native Spanish speakers. If that’s not enough reason to learn Spanish, these will be:
- Become more hire-able! — Learning a second language is always a big plus on anyone’s CV. Today’s employers look for skills that have a global outlook. Learning Spanish can help you help your employers build relationships and trade with Spanish speakers around the world.
- Have a wholesome travel experience — When you know the local language, your travel experience is enhanced significantly. Interact with the locals, learn more about the culture, and have a more genuine experience overall if you’re traveling to Spain, Cuba, Chile, or other Spanish-speaking countries.
- Spanish is easy to learn — It’s not too complicated for an English speaker to pick up Spanish. Firstly, there’s no need to learn a new alphabet when learning Spanish. And secondly, English and Spanish have plenty of words that are derived from Latin, thus leading to a lot of similarities.
- Access to more entertainment — Watching movies and shows with subtitles cannot compare with understanding the language. There are so many different Spanish shows, movies, telenovelas, etc. which you can watch and enjoy once you learn the language!
Learning Spanish also opens up more opportunities in terms of education. Now that we’re sure you’re keen on learning Spanish, let’s dive deeper into this Lingoda Spanish review!
Lingoda Spanish: Everything You Need to Know
With Lingoda, you can access your Spanish lessons 24×7. So, you don’t have to worry about moving things around. Plus, you will learn from native Spanish speakers, so you don’t have to worry about accuracy or credibility. All of Lingoda’s instructors are also professional language trainers, so they not only know Spanish but are also equipped with teaching skills.
Lingoda has courses for learners at different levels. Whether you’re a beginner or not, the free placement test will gauge your level and recommend the right level for you. Since all courses are CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) aligned, so are the learning levels on offer:
- Absolute Beginner (A1)
- Beginner (A2)
- Intermediate (B1)
- Upper-Intermediate (B2)
- Advanced (C1)
While choosing a Lingoda Spanish course, you have a couple of options:
- Monthly Subscription
- Spanish Sprint
- Spanish Marathon
We’ll dive into the details of these three a little later. But to give you a general idea, monthly subscriptions allow you a lot of flexibility. Whereas Sprints and Marathons are more time-bound, Marathons being the more flexible one of the two.
Lingoda Spanish Monthly Subscriptions
As we mentioned earlier, monthly subscriptions offer the most flexibility. Learners can choose plans based on the amount of time they can dedicate to learning Spanish. Here are the four plans that Lingoda offers:
- Maintain — Once class every week.
- Improve — Three classes per week.
- Improve a lot — Five classes per week.
- Immersion — Ten classes per week.
Once you choose between these, the next thing you have to decide on is if you want group lessons or one-on-one lessons. Group lessons only have small groups of 3-5 students. Private lessons are great if you feel you need dedicated attention from your instructors.
Group Lessons VS One-on-One Lessons
There are many different types of learners. Not everyone will thrive in private lessons, and not everyone learns through peer interaction. Lingoda offers students the choice between group lessons and private lessons for precisely this reason.
Since the groups are small, consisting of 3-5 learners, it still allows students to get individual attention from the instructors. Plus, you get the opportunity to learn with peers as well. This can motivate you as well as help you get answers to questions you didn’t even know you had.
However, if group lessons don’t work out for you, you can opt for private lessons. These are one-on-one sessions between a language learner and a language teacher. You can ask all your questions without worrying about disturbing the group. You can learn without any distractions.
Figure out what environment you thrive in, and choose accordingly.
Lingoda Spanish Sprint & Spanish Marathon? Who is it for?
Lingoda Sprint is a promotion that Lingoda runs a couple of times a year. It’s a fast-tracked course that stretches for three months. There are two options that learners can choose from:
- Sprint — 15 classes per month, scheduled on alternate days.
- Super-Sprint — 30 classes per month, every day.
Plus, the best part is that Lingoda offers a cash back if you follow all the sprint rules. Some of the rules are that you must attend all classes and must not be late for any classes. Make sure to go through all the rules before enrolling.
Students of the Spanish Sprint are eligible for 50% cashback, and students of the Super Sprint are eligible for 100% cashback.
The Spanish Sprint is ideal for students who have time on their hands and can commit to 15 or 30 classes per month. If you have a busy or erratic schedule, this plan probably would not work for you.
Lingoda also has something known as a Spanish Marathon. This is similar to the Sprint but has some key differences.
Marathons offer some more flexibility to learners. You can choose between 3, 6, and 12-month plans, and classes are less frequent than Sprints. With Marathons, too, there is a cashback offer. Instead of 100% of your lessons, you need to attend at least 90% to be eligible for a cashback.
The Spanish Marathon is ideal for students who are committed to learning on a longer timeline.
Features Of Lingoda Spanish Courses
Let’s break down all that Lingoda has to offer its Spanish learners:
- 24×7 Access — Learners can book classes or contact support at any point in the day. There are no time constraints.
- Experienced Instructors — Not only are the instructors all native speakers, but they also have experience in teaching.
- Placement Test — Lingoda offers its students a free placement test to get an idea of their Spanish level, allowing them to pick the appropriate course level.
- Free 7-Day Trial — Before enrolling in Lingoda’s courses, you can take a free trial to get a feel of the platform. It’s best to make an informed decision, after all.
- Sprint & Marathon — These two plans offered by Lingoda cater to learners who want to pick up Spanish quickly, as well as those who are committed to learning over a long period.
Also Read: Lingoda vs Italki 2021
Lingoda Spanish Instructors
If you look at Lingoda’s reviews online, most speak about the quality of the instructors. The platform has a rating of 4.5 on Trustpilot, and most reviews rave about the tutors.
As we’ve already discussed, all of Lingoda’s Spanish instructors are native speakers of Spanish. Plus, they specifically have experience in teaching Spanish. Most of these tutors are a pleasure to learn from. They go the extra mile to help students learn and are passionate about what they do.
When you book a subscription plan or a lesson on Lingoda, you don’t choose the instructor. Your tutors are constantly being rotated. The reason for this, Lingoda says, is so that learners are exposed to different dialects, accents, and expressions.
However, this can sometimes come in the way of your experience as a student. Not all tutors are at the same level, and some do disappoint. That’s one disadvantage of the rotation of teachers.
Considering that Lingoda offers live classes, private & group classes, 24×7 access, and more, the pricing is pretty good. It’s not too expensive, and if you opt for a Spanish Super Sprint (and follow all the rules), you can even get the course essentially for free!
Let’s start with the pricing for monthly subscription plans. As mentioned earlier, you first have to choose your class frequency and then group or one-on-one lessons. Your Spanish course price will change depending on these two choices.
As for Spanish Sprints, Sprints and Super Sprints have different pricing. However, remember that you can get back 50-100% of the amount you pay by following all the Sprint rules. With Marathons, too, there’s a cashback offer, hence bringing down your overall cost.
Before enrolling, you can take a 7-day free trial. Make sure you enjoy learning on Lingoda before committing. However, keep in mind that Lingoda will charge you at the end of the free trial. So, make sure to cancel it beforehand if you decide against Lingoda.
As we’ve discussed, there are different formats of learning Spanish on Lingoda. Monthly subscriptions, Sprints, and Marathons, namely.
When you opt for a monthly subscription, your course duration depends on the class frequency you opt for. Let’s say you take one class every week. Then you can finish a level in approximately a year. However, if you take five classes every week, you can be done in under three months! Depending on the amount of time you have, you can plan your Spanish learning with Lingoda.
Sprints and Super Sprints are both 3-months long. With Marathons, you can choose between a three-month, six-month, and one-year plan.
Also Read: Lingoda black friday sale
Lingoda Spanish Learner Levels
We gave you a rough idea of the levels offered by Lingoda earlier in this Lingoda review. It’s time to dive in deeper!
Absolute Beginner (A1) — The Absolute Beginner level will equip learners with the ability to engage in a simple conversation. You will be able to use everyday phrases and give a basic introduction of yourself.
Beginner (A2) — Once you complete the Beginner level, you’ll be ready to take on slightly longer conversations. You would be able to describe your background and routine. But that’s about as far as you’ll be able to take a conversation.
Intermediate (B1) — Get ready to cruise through basic conversation and even write sentences about topics that you’re comfortable with.
Upper-Intermediate (B2) — Understand, speak and write complex sentences in Spanish. You’ll begin to develop a wider vocabulary, and interaction with native speakers will get easier.
Advanced (C1) — The final level of Spanish learning with Lingoda. Once you complete this level, you’ll be an ace at reading, writing, and speaking Spanish. You can use your Spanish language skills socially, professionally as well as academically.
Please Note: The above levels are all CEFR-aligned.
Pros of Lingoda Spanish
Hope we have covered almost everything you needed in this Lingoda Spanish Review. Now let’s talk about the benefits of learning Spanish with Lingoda:
- You will learn from instructors who are all native speakers. A majority of them are great and will enhance your learning experience significantly.
- You can take a free trial before diving in. Whichmeans, you don’t have to commit if you’re not happy with the platform.
- You can learn for free with the Lingoda Spanish Super Sprint (if you follow all the rules).
- Take a free placement test to place your current Spanish skills, and choose the right course level.
- All the courses, curriculum, and levels are aligned with CEFR making them more credible.
- Get a globally recognized certificate that can boost your career and/or education.
- Increased job opportunities
Cons of Lingoda Spanish
Now, it’s time to cover the negatives of Lingoda Spanish:
- With Lingoda rotating tutors, you can’t always be guaranteed a good learning experience. Some tutors don’t meet the standards of the majority.
- There are a lot of strict rules to be followed to be eligible for the cashback with Sprints and Marathons.
Conclusion: Is It Worth It?
To conclude this Lingoda Spanish review, let’s find out if Lingoda is a good option for those who want to learn Spanish.
Yes, Lingoda is an excellent platform to learn Spanish on. The pros outweigh the cons, and the courses are pretty affordable too. The quality of the curriculum and tutors is what stands out for Lingoda.
The platform has gained popularity mainly for these two reasons. We recommend you start with the free trial, but we’re pretty sure you’re going to be happy by the end of it.
It depends on how you learn. We recommend choosing group lessons because it could make for a more rounded learning experience. However, if you learn better without peers, then private lessons would be better. You can take a trial with Lingoda to try group lessons and see how it goes.
Yes, and the best part is that Lingoda’s certificates are recognized and accepted across the globe. Plus, they are aligned with the CEFR.
All you need is a stable internet connection, a laptop/computer, and an account with Zoom. Zoom should also be installed on the laptop/computer.
Yes, the courses will cover Spanish speaking, reading, and writing. You will also be put in different scenarios to practice your new Spanish skills.