Would you like to build up your database management skills?
Data is all around us today. It powers everything from complex business solutions like demand forecasting to simple everyday tasks like creating to-do lists.
SQL is therefore not only important for business analysts but also if you’d simply like to gain problem-solving skills applicable to everyday life scenarios.
Without the proper SQL knowledge, it would be difficult to manage big data situations.
We would have to rely on traditional data processing techniques like manipulating Excel spreadsheets. This would require a ton of effort to even execute simple data processing tasks, and workflows would hog a lot of resources as a result.
Consequently, for efficient data analytics projects, it’s essential to learn SQL.
In this guide, we’ll be discussing the best SQL courses and certifications to take in 2021 for all-around database management expertise.
Let’s get started.
Don’t have a clue about anything SQL?
You’ll feel right at home with one of the best SQL courses online on how to query a database using SQL, which is one of the most highly sought-after skills, besides PostgreSQL.
Additionally, you’ll learn about:
- The various parts of basic SQL statements, and how you can use these to update a variety of databases you’ll come across.
- Getting started with PgAdmin and PostgreSQL, which are today’s most popular SQL tools no matter what line of data science work you end up in.
- Real-world problems and how you can query SQL to solve them. The practicality of this course, and the succinct yet clear explanation on otherwise complex topics, are excellent as well.
I feel that there could be a few more exercises around the PGAdmin to better reinforce the concepts. Nonetheless, it is still one of the best SQL courses on Udemy as the examples offer incredible insight into how to interact with databases using this GUI tool.
Are you intimidated by most MySQL courses?
Then this is one of the best SQL tutorials as it involves creating SQL models from real-world data without prior programming knowledge.
Some course highlights include:
- Learning how to ask your data questions on marketing analytics such as campaigns with high click-throughs, product abandonment, etc.
- Creating web apps through MySQL and NodeJS, enabling you to fit in a work setting with a focus on app development.
- I especially like how the instructor fuses his personality, and that of his companion, into breaking down complex topics in a lighthearted learning approach.
However, I find this may not be the best SQL course on Udemy if you’re pressed for time as the instructor often goes into detailed exercise reviews. That said, these bits of added information make learning more effective.
Most of the best SQL training online classes focus on web development, cutting out the non-technical business person who is more interested in SQL’s business applications. If that describes you, this is the course to take.
The class covers:
- Real-life data analytics featuring complex tables with millions of variables, which prepares you for actual situations in the real world.
- Lifetime access to bonus courses on advanced Microsoft Excel training, which will come in handy when you need to create tabular schema to facilitate data entry into your business’s relational database.
- A refreshing view into how to handle SQL joins for complex databases with countless tables and variables, making this one of the best SQL courses on Udemy.
Nevertheless, the Q&A section could be better as the instructor is sometimes unavailable to promptly handle queries. On the plus side, many of these questions have been previously answered in the Q&A.
Do you struggle with database normalization?
If so, this is among the best online SQL courses for handling a topic that has proven quite challenging for beginners.
This lesson entails:
- Advanced database normalization techniques for both PostgreSQL and MS SQL, thereby enabling you to better structure different kinds of data.
- Easy-to-learn strategies for making and cleaning complex joints, making this an excellent course for handling huge relational databases.
- Advanced SQL query techniques to enable you to draw from multiple conditions to draft a report. Some of these queries are commonly asked in interviews.
However, because the course stretches to cover both PostgreSQL and MS SQL, aggregations aren’t exhaustively covered to their full possibilities. On the plus side, this is the best SQL course on Udemy for value as it is a two-for-one course.
Would you like to apply SQL in data science?
Then this is one of the best SQL courses online for learning data science from a programming perspective.
Some course highlights include:
- Learning how to use SQL commands to filter and sort data. This enables you to better perform cleaning on large datasets.
- An excellent introduction to relational database management as they work in the real world, including learning how to structure, analyze and make joins. This helps you better optimize queries to simplify everyday work.
- The final course assessment makes it one of the best SQL courses on Coursera for practicing.
The course could do with some graphic effects to highlight exact points in the presentation as the instructor is taking you through the data sets. Nonetheless, you can still follow through from the voiceovers.
Most businesses today rely on Excel spreadsheets to store data.
Consequently, this is one of the best SQL tutorials for learning how you can use both SQL and Microsoft Excel for data analysis.
You’ll also learn about:
- Using tableau software to visualize data and drive meaningful financial insights to guide business decisions.
- Multi-industry data analysis skills given that this is a 4-in-1 specialization course, making it the best SQL course on Coursera for all-around business prowess.
- Managing big data with MySQL to create business value from various information sources.
On the downside, because it is a 4-course program, it may take you up to 7 months to complete on an average 4 hour/week pace. On the bright side, you can sign up for the individual courses in the package according to your needs.
If you’re interested in SQL for professional data science certification, this offers the best SQL training online.
Course highlights include:
- A multi-programming approach, featuring the most popular programming languages for data science, namely SQL and Python.
- A Professional IBM certificate and a digital IBM badge, both of which prove your qualifications to potential employers.
- Hands-on labs in IBM Cloud, entailing tools like Juptery Lab, Github, and libraries like Matplotlib, Mumpy, and Pandas. This practicality makes this one of the best SQL courses on Coursera.
However, to get the professional certificate you’ll need to complete at least 9 courses in the specialization. The good news is that you can learn part-time for up to 12 months or go into full-time learning to finish in 3 months.
For a better understanding and analysis of big data via MySQL, this is one of the best online SQL courses to get you started.
Some course expectations encompass:
- Lively discussion forums where your queries are promptly addressed so you can expect excellent course support.
- Essential practice questions drawn from real-life data problems, therefore giving you skills to work with actual big data as it occurs in the business world.
- A well-organized course structure featuring software like MySQL, Tableau, and Microsoft Excel, making this the best SQL course on Coursera for beginners.
For advanced learners, you may find that this course lacks the challenges you require. On the other hand, the content nicely accommodates beginners and it doesn’t hurt to take an SQL refresher.
If you’re interested in the applications of SQL in solving business problems as well as simple and common day-to-day problems like to-do lists, this is the class for you.
Course highlights include:
- Learning the SQL skills needed to implement various CRUD applications, which, for instance, can come in handy if you’d like to create a blog website.
- Mastering fundamental concepts about creating tables, including how to manipulate the data in rows and columns, so you can work with a variety of data sets.
- An excellent course structure, which makes it one of the best SQL courses on LinkedIn for, especially when you factor in the working knowledge of an instructor who has been in software development for over 40 years.
For macOS users, you may run into problems installing XAMPP due to certain SID and CRUD issues. However, this is typically solved by authenticating file directories or you may switch to a Windows platform altogether.
Are you looking to get into advanced data science SQL?
This tutorial is among the best SQL courses online for advanced learning that you could try out. You’ll get to learn about:
- Various data wrangling techniques for preparing and processing data a lot faster than traditional methodologies.
- Important, little-known tips on using SQL for data science to give you an advantage over other data scientists in your niche.
- 6 chapter quizzes and 1 project, making this an excellent class for hands-on learning.
This course is a little old so it may not be the best SQL course on LinkedIn in terms of support, as it currently doesn’t take new questions. That said, you’ll find that common questions have been answered in the archived Q&A.
Is time a priority for your learning of SQL?
This course is a great option if that’s the case. It is a beginner-friendly 1.5-hour class that can quickly get you up to speed with basic SQL.
Some course highlights include:
- 2.4 continuing professional education credits, making this one of the best SQL courses on LinkedIn if you’re pursuing an NASBA IT degree.
- A focus on learning SQL without the restrictions of any one specific tool. Therefore, it teaches standard SQL applicable to a variety of platforms.
- SQL learning via the DB browser, which offers a much simpler way to learn SQL without getting confused by complex SQL commands.
You may run into some problems downloading some of the exercise files for the course. However, you can easily solve this by clearing cookies and your browser’s cache. Also, it helps to ensure the files are extracted from the zip formats before loading them into SQL.
For the best SQL training online incorporating both Windows and macOS users, I suggest you consider course on SQL essentials.
You’ll get to learn about:
- SQL via the SQLiteStudio. This platform requires no application file I/O code so it’s easy for learning SQL because it does away with the common complexities.
- Aggregate queries involving MAX, MIN, and AVG, among others. These queries will enable you to summarize your data for better insights.
- SQL essentials with excellent course support, given that the course instructor is recently available and can tend to your queries typically in a matter of hours.
Intermediate to advanced learners may feel they could do with a lot more challenging practice exercises. Regardless, it remains the best SQL course on LinkedIn if you’d like to learn the essentials of SQL effectively and quickly.
Are you interested in learning the Hive query language?
For the best SQL tutorials on Hadoop and Hive, you’ll find that this course proves an excellent learning resource.
Key course details entail:
- Introduction to distributed computing through MapReduce. As a result, you’ll be able to comfortably break down and handle large data sets.
- HiveQL solutions to common big data problems that businesses deal with daily, enabling you to fit into any database management role you may desire.
- This is the best SQL course on PluralSight if you’re an intermediate learner. It allows you to build off your prior knowledge of query languages to straight away get into the core concepts of big data.
Unfortunately, this course focuses on an older version of Hive, i.e. Hive 0.11, so it may be a let-down if you’re keen on Hive 1.2.1. Nonetheless, Hive 0.11 remains one of the most stable versions of Hive for big data processing and is also still very effective for learning standard HiveQL.
Physical database design doesn’t get enough attention, yet it is still important because it significantly impacts performance.
If you’re keen on an SQL Server tutorial that factors in physical database design, this is one of the best online SQL courses to show you the ropes.
Here’s what this class teaches:
- Basics of the SQL Server platform and how its performance is affected by the physical design and architecture of your database.
- How to use the right data types to optimize resources like storage space. In turn, this allows you to boost the efficiency of your database and reduce the effort that goes into managing it.
- Wholistic SQL Server optimization, which applies to all versions to date from SQL Server 2005 onwards. The many, easy-to-follow demonstrations make this one of the best SQL courses on PluralSight.
Being an intermediate-level class, you may have a hard time keeping up if you’re just getting acquainted. However, if you have the prerequisite knowledge, it’s an excellent course for SQL server versatility across all significant versions.
This is one of the best SQL courses online if you have a specific interest in Oracle and Toad environments.
Some course highlights entail:
- Wide coverage of database management technologies namely Oracle SQL developer, SQL Servers Management Studio, and Toad. This makes it easy to make an informed decision about which RDBMS to specialize in.
- Advanced SQL queries, many of which have slipped under the radar, enabling you to make use of little-known SQL commands to simplify your workflow.
- Generous examples across all the various topic breakdowns. Consequently, it is perfect for hands-on learning.
However, this course touches on the Toad tool at a surface level so it may not be the best SQL course on PluralSight if you’d like to deep dive into this database management system. On the other hand, it covers Oracle and SQL Servers at an excellent intermediate level.
Are you passionate about app development?
Thanks to this guide on the best SQL courses and certifications to take in 2021, there are many SQL training options at your disposal in this regard.
I suggest giving the course on The Complete SQL Bootcamp 2023: Go from Zero to Hero [Udemy] a try.
This class will teach you how to create applications using MySQL without any background knowledge of programming.
Conversely, if PostgreSQL is the RDBMS you’re more interested in, this course on The Ultimate MySQL Bootcamp: Go from SQL Beginner to Expert [Udemy] is a great option.
Either way, both courses are beginner-friendly for SQL programming.
Lerma is our expert in online education with over a decade of experience. Specializing in e-learning and e-courses. She has reviewed several online training courses and enjoys reviewing e-learning platforms for individuals and organizations.